Content note: This episode contains discussion of sensitive topics including drugs, alcohol, gambling and sex work. If you or someone you know needs support with the topics discussed in this episode, there are specialist organisations that can help you in complete confidence – please refer to the ‘Support’ section of the show notes for signposting.
Accommodation Matters brings together sector experts to discuss the Higher Education sector’s key issues through the lens of student accommodation, and this month, we’re looking at high-risk student behaviours that take place behind closed doors, such as drug-taking, drinking, gambling and sex work.
Our expert Higher Education panel, hosted by Jenny Shaw, explores why students might engage in these behaviours, what the risks are, and what university and student accommodation practitioners can do to support students and reduce harms.
This month’s panel includes:
- Mandi Barron, Director of Student Services at Bournemouth University
- Sunday Blake, Associate Editor at Wonkhe and former President of the University of Exeter Students’ Guild
- Kev Clelland, Director of Insight and Engagement at the Young Gamers and Gamblers Education Trust (YGAM)
The panel is also joined by guest contributor Tracy Lumb, Senior Project Manager – Wellbeing at SOS UK, who shares her insights on student drug and alcohol misuse.
Tracy and Jenny will be speaking further on the topic at ‘Tackling drug use in student accommodation’, a Westminster Forum event, on Tuesday 10th January 2023. More details are available at the Westminster Forum site.
Unite Students is sponsoring the Universities UK taskforce on student drug use. The Student Drug Use Taskforce was launched by Universities UK (UUK), in partnership with Unite Students, GuildHE and Independent HE, and in order to better understand demand for and use of drugs within the UK student population, and produce evidence-led sector guidance with a view to reducing harms from drug use and better tackle supply.
Accommodation Matters was recorded on 11th November 2022 and produced by Ed Palmer.
The following resources are referenced during the episode:
- Taking The Hit report (2018): https://www.release.org.uk/sites/default/files/pdf/publications/Taking%20the%20Hit%20-%20Student%20drug%20use%20and%20how%20institutions%20respond%20-.pdf
- Student gambling research commissioned by YGAM and GAMSTOP (2022): https://www.ygam.org/new-survey-shows-students-use-borrowed-money-to-gamble/
- Student Sex Work: International Perspectives and Implications for Policy and Practice (2022): https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-3-031-07777-7
- The English Collective of Prostitutes: https://prostitutescollective.net/resources/
- Sex Worker Advocacy and Resistance Movement (SWARM): https://www.swarmcollective.org/
This podcast covers some sensitive topics. If you or someone around you needs support for these issues, the following organisations can help.
- Talk To Frank: 0300 123 6600 https://www.talktofrank.com/get-help/find-support-near-you
- Drinkaware: https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/advice/alcohol-support-services
- NHS: https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/find-alcohol-addiction-support-services/
- Young Gamers and Gamblers Education Trust (YGAM): https://www.ygam.org/support-and-advice/
- GamCare: 0808 802 0133 https://www.gamcare.org.uk/get-support/
- Support For Student Sex Workers: https://www.supportforstudentsexworkers.org/support/
- National Ugly Mugs: https://nationaluglymugs.org/